Monday, January 31, 2011

Insight

To have insight is to perceive the true or hidden meaning of something; in this case, insight into one‘s own self. Do you really, truly know yourself? It’s easy to quickly respond with characteristics of yourself, what you like or don’t like, personality or physical traits. However, as with many self-evaluative exercises, it is a bit more difficult to express one’s self in more “unconventional” terms.

This exercise seemed simple enough….30 ways to describe yourself. In truth, it was a little more tricky than it first appeared! Take a look at my 30 “insights,” and in repeating the exercise yourself, discover new insights of your own!



“The best vision is insight.”~~Malcolm S. Forbes

If I were a month, I’d be….February…short and sweet, and I ALWAYS celebrate my valentine.

If I were a day of the week, I’d be…Friday, most likely…combination of both work and play.

If I were a time of day, I’d be…2:00 PM. In the middle of the afternoon, the sun is shining, the world is in motion, and there is as much of the day behind you as there is ahead of you….sometimes looking back, sometimes forward, but enjoying siesta.

If I were a planet, I’d be…Earth. It’s an intricately intertwined, complicated planet. Usually we just associate one or two characteristics to planets (Mars = “red” or “alien” instantly popped into your head), but when you think of Earth, you think many things at once.

If I were a sea animal, I’d be…a dolphin…cute, playful, and stay together in pods/families.

If I were a direction, I’d be…North…guiding, directing, giving you a point of reference.

If I were a piece of furniture, I’d be…plush, soft, cozy…inviting you to sit and stay awhile.

If I were a liquid, I’d be…water. It has so many uses, can be refreshing, and makes up about 60 percent of our bodies anyway.

If I were a gemstone, I’d be…quartz. It comes in many different colors, and is relatively hard…not as hard as the hardest material, the diamond, but made of pretty sturdy stuff.

If I were a tree, I’d be…a magnolia…evergreen, hearty, strong, good smelling, and thick-skinned, less impervious to predators, as well as associated with the southern U.S…hence the moniker “Steel Magnolia.”

If I were a tool, I’d be…a Gerber multi-tool...so many tools, so many tasks….all accomplished by ONE tool…sound familiar?

If I were a flower, I’d be…a Daylily…going in at night.

If I were a car, I’d be…reliable and dependable…not one of those that leaves you broken down on the side of the road, having an unsurpassed warning system.

If I were a pair of shoes, I’d be…comfortable, for long hours on the feet; practical, for the job at hand; stylish, with all of those long hours and practical jobs, you just have to like looking at them too.


If I were a kind of weather, I’d be…the wind. Sometimes you notice it, sometimes you don’t. It can be hard and fierce, or gentle and soothing. It can bring in a thunderstorm, or blow in a balmy breeze. It all depends on what the prevailing conditions are.

If I were a musical instrument, I’d be…wind chimes….good to hear when that wind is changing, usually plays in the background.

If I were a color, I’d be…green. It’s a color of growth, new life, health…a calming color.

If I were a fruit, I’d be…watermelon…pink and juicy, composed mostly of water…which is what makes up most of what we are anyway.

If I were an element, I’d be…iron…strong, so many uses, and it changes with time and exposure.

If I were a food, I’d be…pasta…prepared in many ways, but always satisfying.

If I were a place, I’d be…home. Baseball has home plate, tag has home base. We always want to come “home,” and it IS where the heart is.

If I were a material, I’d be…cotton. It’s versatile, you can layer it, wear in warm or cold weather, and of course, soft.

If I were a taste, I’d be…subtle. Subtle tastes are interesting, enhance the food, and aren't easy to identify and pin down.

If I were a scent, I’d be…clean and fresh, noticeable when you get close.

If I were a facial expression, I’d be…a smile. The smile is a universal signature in any language. Everyone understands it, and it speaks of an openness and reception to whomever it is bestowed upon.

If I were an object, I’d be…a puzzle….not too easy to figure out, but with some thought and understanding, the pieces begin to fit together for the “whole” picture.

If I were a body part, I’d be…the brain. It IS in charge of your body, and it can do so very many things, all at once. Sometimes it goes wonky, too, but a nap or good night’s sleep can usually improve its functioning.

If I were an emotion, I’d be…compassion, an empathetic extension of love.

If I were a sound, I’d be…laughter. It’s contagious, includes all types, it relaxes and de-stresses you, helps heal you.

If I were a song, I’d be…the harmony. Every melody is enhanced by the harmonies, and you hear the harmony only when you focus and listen. Even if you don’t hear the harmony, you know it is there when you hear the fullness of the music.




"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocea, at the circular motions of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering."~~St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment